Thursday, August 27, 2015

What's This? A Hint of Normal?

It's been so long that I've forgotten what a normal day feels like. I think, though, that this week, I've come close. It's a very strange sensation to quit work around 5ish and do normal people things. Things like make dinner at a leisurely pace, eat it, sitting down and as a family and then, the best part, descend into my writing room for not one, but often two or more hours before returning to the family zone to either watch tv or go to bed. I could get used to this.

This week, I've caught up on going over critiques I received over a year ago. I've worked on editing Sahmara, a novel I haven't touched since building the house began. I really like this story. I want to work on it more and get it ready to submit.

I've had time to finally do a thorough read-through of A Broken Race and fix all the typos that resulted in my mad rush to get the revised content to the editor on time while hosting an exchange student and finish up on the house

I've even considered reading a book. Yes, sitting down and just reading. After having time for writing. What is this madness?

It's been a couple years for this too, but I'm actually looking forward to NaNoWriMo this year, the whole diving into writing part, instead of just the seeing all my writing peeps again part. The whole experience. As of this moment, months in advance, I have energy and enthusiasm. It's been a long time since I've had either of those things, even before the house building began.

Landscaping is happening! This is my favorite part. I love playing in the dirt, even if that means encountering snakes. Which is has. Several times. But this part of the making this our home process has taken the longest to get to, so I'll take the snakes and go on my merry planting way.

For this week, at least, life is good.

4 comments:

  1. Taking time to write out of the busy-ness of the day always makes me happy too. It doesn't always happen but when it does, I know I did the right thing by how good I feel. And seeing the book progress just a little more toward completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Karen. Yes, that good feeling of progress is a wonderful and inspiring thing.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jean - time is just set isn't it .. it always ticks by. I'm so glad to see the house is really near the end as you're landscaping. Grab a few extra minutes to do the things you enjoy - but that clean slate is a good thing to have ... then you can really progress. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go ahead and read a book. Reading, without that guilty feeling that I really should be doing something else, was relaxing and quite enjoyable. Yet another thing I could certainly get used to.

      Delete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.