Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A to Z - All About Writing: Ideas

Welcome to the Blogging A to Z Challenge, where, this month, I'll be focusing on all things writing. This may be a random jumping around of topics within my theme, but hopefully something somewhere will be useful to someone. (V is for vague - see that last sentence.) Check out all the participants here . Now, lets get on with today's letter.

I is for Ideas

Where do writers get ideas for their stories? 

Everywhere. Ideas are all around you.

Contemplate an everyday situation, what's the worst thing that could happen to change it? Write about that.

Speculate about someone you see in a store or park. What are they doing? Who are they?

Read articles and watch the news. Ask yourself what if questions and answer those with a story.

Look at an object near you. Wonder where it came from. Who made it. What did it go through before it came to you?

Google an interesting place and do a little research. Think about what kind of story would happen there and run with it.

Writers are almost always thinking. It probably looks like their just gazing off into space and ignoring you, but they just might be plotting their next story.

Where do you get your ideas?

Would you like a free e-book? This April, I'm giving away free copies of my new anthology, Destiny Pills & Space Wizards. Claim your copy here: https://claims.instafreebie.com/free/vhJFWpLL Enter code atozpromo



4 comments:

  1. Ideas are always hard to come by! But I knew all along I was going to write about my depression. At first I wasn't sure ifI wanted to do a memoir, but what I began writing sounded like one. I had considered a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean - my ideas for any writing I do ... mostly blog posts - comes straight from those little grey cells ... I'm lucky I don't seem to baulk ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you rightly say, ideas are all around you. So often I'll see something and a story appears from nowhere!

    A-Z of My Friend Rosey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A writer's brain is a strange place.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. It gets lonely in here without you.